Written by faithmueni on April 7, 2021
Well I agree that every relationship goes through ups and downs, but a relationship that is consistently hostile and strenuous for the people in it; to the point that negative moments outweigh and outnumber the positive ones that is possibly a toxic one.
I was once in a relationship where I experienced lack of support from my boyfriend, also, there was consistent conflict; where we both undermined and disrespected each other. The relationship was toxic, it was damaging us both mentally and emotionally.
All relationships are in danger of being toxic, be it family, professional or friendship. They don’t always have to be romantic relationship only. It’s always necessary, to be aware of people who consistently undermine or cause harm to you.
It is crucial to note that toxic people are toxic because of some underlying issues such as; they were in a toxic relationship before, lack of supportive and loving upbringing. Others could have been bullied in school, or suffering from a mental health disorder.
I consistently fell into toxic relationships because I had depression that emerged when I lost my parents to a fatal accident. Also, I grew up where domestic violence was the norm in our family! I found the same abusive themes in my relationship to my now-ex-boyfriend; who became verbally and emotionally abusive. It’s crucial to let go things that costs our inner peace.
- Warning signs of a toxic relationship:
- The most serious warning signs include any form of violence, abuse, or harassment.
- Persistent unhappiness, that is, if a relationship stops bringing joy, and instead consistently makes you feel sad and angry.
- Negative shifts in your mental health, personality and self-esteem.
- What should you do?
- Depression or traumatic behaviors are medically treated.
- Getting to the root of the problem by consulting a therapist is also important.
- Sometimes, the answer may be to walk away.
Love should never cost you your Peace, Joy, or Happiness.