SERIES: DIY BEAUTY TIPS AT HOME
Written by Essy on March 25, 2020
Just because we’re stuck in our houses doesn’t mean we should look shabby in the process…
I will give you tips on various DIY beauty routines you can do in the comfort of your home.
A home manicure and pedicure routine;
What you need;
- Nail polish remover
- Warm water in a bowl
- Cuticle remover
- Nail file
- Nail buffer
- Nail cutter
- Hand cream/lotion
- Hand/body scrub
- Nail polish
Use your nail polish remover to clean and prep your nails for application. This will remove previous nail polish that you had on as well as clean up any oils or dirt even if you didn’t have nail polish prior. A nail polish remover also softens your cuticles.
After this process, soak your hands in warm water and wash your hands with soap and water.
Take the nail cutter and clip your nails if necessary. With a nail file, file your nails to your preferred shape; round, stiletto or square shaped. Lastly, using a buffer, buff your nails. Buffing your nails is like brushing your teeth. It leaves them cleaner, softer and brighter.
Apply your cuticle remover. This will help soften your cuticle and expose them. This makes them easier to trim them. Avoid cutting your cuticles because they actually protect your nails from bacteria
With warm water, use a scrub and soap to exfoliate your hands. Exfoliating kills the dead cells on your hands. Then wash and dry your hands thoroughly.
Moisturize your hands and cuticles with oils that are hydrating. Use the same oils to give yourself a massage on both your hands and wrists.
Nail polish application:
1. Always begin by applying a base coat and wait for it to dry
2. Choose the color of your choice and apply the first coat. Ensure the coat is thin and not heavy
3. With the first coat dry, apply a second coat of the same color and wait for it to dry.
4. Finish off the application with a top coat. Some people apply the top coat twice to lock in the color.
5. Use nail polish remover and a cotton bud to clean around your nails.
Do the same routine for your feet to achieve a great pedicure.